Mens Rights Attorney

Call Today

Modification Of Alimony and Child Support Judgments

Our attorneys are experienced and very familiar with how courts handle modification of child support and alimony judgments. Because these family law issues can be complex, divorce and child support legal advice from a qualified attorney is recommended in order to protect your rights.

modification of child support and alimony judgements

While it is possible to get your child support or alimony judgment modified, it usually requires a substantial change in circumstances and a compelling reason to do so. We can help you demonstrate to the court that the changes in your circumstances - or those of your former spouse - are significant enough to warrant a modification.

Modifying Alimony Judgments

Not every form of alimony can be modified. Periodic alimony payments can be modified if there is a compelling reason to do so, such as the paying spouse losing his job unexpectedly and unwillingly without replacement income likely in the near future. Or, if the receiving spouse gets employed and is able to financially sustain themselves, the court may decide a judgment modification is warranted.

Other types of alimony, such as a lump sum payment, rehabilitative alimony and reimbursement alimony usually cannot be modified. They have special circumstance that make modification unnecessary or impractical.

Modifying Child Support Judgments

Modification of child support judgments are not uncommon. In order for a child support judgment to be modified, the circumstances of one or both parents must have changed significantly. Loss of job, promotion, or a move to another state are examples of significant changes.

Though common, changes to child support orders are not granted without question. The parent seeking the modification must prove there is a compelling reason to grant the change. In addition, a modification of child support is not retroactive - past due support payments cannot be reduced or modified in most cases.

Free Legal Consultations

Our attorneys provide a free legal consultation which will give you the answers you need about modifications to your child support judgments. Simply complete our online form a free consultation or call us today at 866-995-0166.